The Husband Series – Mr & Mrs Joubert – Izelle – becoMEing
February 19, 2018
Some might say that we have a weird relationship because we are not your traditional lovey dovey, clingy couple. We love being together and doing things together, but we both need space and respect the need for space. It took us a while to get our groove, but we do things the way it works for us. We are best friends, who love to laugh and have little impromptu adventures. He is my favourite weirdo and I love that we do things differently than what our parents did. We do it our way, we are the Joubert’s and we love helping others, being around friends and family, but also just love being home doing our thing.
We met at a braai, I was dating my high school boyfriend at the time, but when I came around the corner I saw this attractive guy sitting at the table with a gorgeous smile. We briefly saw each other at several occasions after that and once I was broken up with my high school boyfriend, we saw each other again at another braai (which my friend arranged for us, as she wanted us to get together) where we chatted for the entire night under the stars. The next day he invited me for a dinner, but I declined since I thought I wanted to take a break from dating for a while, but he persisted, and I finally said yes, he took me out for a prawn dinner (the first time I had ever eaten prawns) and we had such a lovely time together. I felt like I have known him all my life, I immediately fell in love with the handsome older guy I met at a braai. He made me laugh and got me, something I have never had before.
2. Who popped the question & how?
6 months after our first date, on my 21st birthday he surprised me during a speech when he got on one knee, and with a shaky voice asked me to marry him. I couldn’t believe it and asked him several times if he was serious.
3. What are those super awesome little things that you love about your hubby?
He makes me laugh and gets me. He understands my weird and wacky ways and allows me to be me.
4. Name a few things that you feel, that no one can do as good as your husband can?
I have never met anyone who can work with their hands like he does. He is able to picture something in his mind, think in a very practical way and then execute his idea perfectly. Needless to say, our home is full of beautifully handmade projects.
5. If you could thank your husband today, what would you thank him for?
For his unconditional love and standing by my side, through several obstacles and challenges.
6. What annoying thing does he do that makes you want to kill him when he’s there but that you miss when he’s not around?
Watching boring documentaries – I have actually learned to like shows like that and watch it with him sometimes.
7. If we could celebrate husband appreciation day, what would you let him do/do for him to let him know that you appreciate him?
I would make him a lovely home cooked meal and then spoil him by doing something outdoors with him, maybe go for a hike or a bike ride.
8. What are some of the things, that you simply cannot do without your husband?
Life!!! When he is away for work I feel like a piece of me is missing. Although we are not one of those couples who have to do everything together, knowing he is close makes me feel safe and happy.
9. What is the one thing you hate to do, that he does for you?
Stopping at the shops for bread or milk.
10. Share with us a memory that was shared between the both of you, that has become an everlasting milestone?
Definitely the birth of our daughter. It did not go as we planned, but he was next to my side all the time. I had to undergo anaesthesia and as tears rolled down my cheeks he held my hand and comforted me. When I woke up he was the first face I saw as he brought our daughter to me. The joy in his tired face is something I will never forget.
11. What is the most special thing that he has ever done for you or said to you?
When he compliments me on being a good mother or when puts in the effort to buy me something when he goes to the shops. The small things matter the most to me.
12. What are the words that are most frequently exchanged between you two?
Love you, Liefie, Booya, Do you want some coffee?
13. Do you have any special traditions? Eg. Valentines dinner etc
Christmas is the time we have the most traditions, setting up the tree, opening presents, Christmas movies etc. Then Thursday nights are pizza nights – we really love pizza.
Catch up with the Joubert’s on the following links:
Simone Gobin is a 24 year old, it graduate, wife to Avi and mother to Yash & Ralee Gobin. She spends her days being a mother and a wife. She has decided to start a blog as a creative outlet as well as connect with other parents. Her belief is that there is a lot to learn from other parents out there and she welcomes all advice possible.